The Society of Chemical Manufacturers & Affiliates® (SOCMA) supports and fosters the growth of the specialty chemical industry by delivering legislative and regulatory advocacy, promoting the highest levels of safety, and strengthening business intelligence and manufacturing operations.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for helping to ensure the success of brand programs within the manufacturing Reporting to the Senior Vice-President, Industry Development and Strategic Partnerships, this position is responsible for relationship management across members and value chain partners, as well as market sector outreach through the Association’s commercial services program. The commercial services program enhances and facilitates business opportunities for member companies and provides industry intelligence throughout the specialty chemical value chain and partner groups. Accomplishment of these objectives requires the ability to grow into an understanding of the chemicals value chain and related end-use markets, commercial digital platforms, communications, and policy issues impacting the industry.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Manages and grows SOCMA’s Lead Sheet service and Manufacturing Solutions platform. Responsible for frontline industry interface on business and technical issues related to both services. This includes lead sheet generation, member distribution, requester management, and managing lead sheet portfolio on the website and database. Assists member companies with their manufacturing capabilities profile -- updating company card and providing utilization metrics.
2. Tracks and reports on utilization metrics across the Association’s commercial services products and platforms. Metrics are used to identify product enhancements, support marketing, and contribute to the Association’s industry intelligence repository.
3. Develops quarterly pulse polls on top-of-mind topics related to member company business and manufacturing operations. Pulse polls are used in various e-communications and Specialty Insights, SOCMA’s print and digital magazine.
4. Identifies opportunities to promote commercial services offerings and ChemSectors program through the Association’s print and digital publications, e-communications, media, and in-person and virtual events.
5. Writes articles for the Association’s publications related to the activities of SOCMA’s commercial services, ChemSectors, and industry intelligence programs. Collaborates and engages with other departments (GR, Marketing & Communications, Technical & Safety) to communicate the value of SOCMA’s commercial services, ChemSectors, and industry intelligence programs.
6. Plans and executes national and regional events with a commercial focus, both in-person and virtual webcasts to foster business development opportunities, best practices, and market / industry intelligence which promotes the Association’s programs and services.
7. Works across industry relations and technical and safety departments to implement strategic and operational plans for programs and services across both program areas to enhance member, industry network, and stakeholder engagement.
8. Supports and manages custom projects related to specific chemistries or value chain products as they are identified within the department.
9. Develops and executes non-dues revenue opportunities for commercial services and products.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: • Strong organizational and communications skills to assure that all engagement and education activities are properly planned and executed.
• Exhibit entrepreneurial initiative to create new services and products to accelerate commercial growth for the industry and reach end use markets.
• Effective customer service skills coupled with strong interpersonal and communication skills with staff, members, and industry technical and commercial staff.
• Able to work across departments to implement commercial services programs.
• Demonstrate effective planning skills and ability to understand long-term goals while prioritizing efforts to focus on project needs, details, and results.
• Able to exercise strong judgment in analysis, appraisal, evaluation, and problem solving of a complex procedural, organizational, administrative, or technical nature.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), SurveyMonkey, Constant Contact, database systems, digital web platforms, and the Internet.
• Able to coordinate and complete simultaneously assigned tasks in a timely manner. Time sensitive and deadline oriented.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: • Bachelor’s degree, engineering, or science highly desirable but not required.
• At least 5 years or greater experience with a company or at a trade association with a focus in commercial development and an understanding for end use markets and their products with the ability to successfully promote the Association’s specialty chemicals programs, products, and services.
• Proven track record of growing strong relationships.
• Knowledge of chemical or manufacturing industry preferred.